Saturday, August 11, 2012

THE FRAGRANCE OF FORGIVENESS

I love this quote by Mark Twain: "Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that crushed it." If you are like me, you have many opportunities to practice forgiveness throughout an average day, be it in traffic, the checkout line or just around the home. Some things seem easier to forgive than others, but however trite it may seem, a small root of bitterness can bring great trouble to our lives.

Just last week I was pulling out of a parking lot and a man came around the corner facing me head on. The problem was he was looking down at something, a phone or some other distraction. I cried out to God for help and turned the car so as to avoid a crash. The man looked up at the last second and hit the brake about an inch from my car! I was so shaken that I just drove off and he looked shocked to say the least. I easily forgave that because I know how such things can happen if you look away from the dash for even a moment.

I have also faced larger things in life that are much harder to forgive. Especially when it involves a child or other loved one. I have had experiences that seemed impossible to put behind me. I am sure that you have as well. Unforgiveness comes at a high price. It can cost us our most valued assets such as: relationships, reputation and even our health.

There is much more to be said but not enough space to say it. Bottom line is that forgiveness is a choice like most other things in life. The Bible gives us this admonition: "Be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you." (Eph. 4:32.)

No comments: